Friday, November 30, 2007

Days 26-27 – The One Where My Life Flashed Before My Eyes

Thursday & Friday, November 29 & 30, 2007

I had my first very scary moment as a Mommy on Thursday night. I fell in the apartment with Cameron in my arms. I usually have him in the walker in the kitchen with me while I’m preparing dinner. I gave him his bottle and he fell asleep. When I carried him out of the kitchen, I tried to move the walker with my foot and it got caught and down we went. I took the brunt of the fall, thank goodness. I bruised both knees and scraped my elbow and wrist pretty badly but luckily I didn’t break anything. But, Cameron’s head did hit the floor and the wind was knocked out of him. He lost his breath and couldn’t cry for several seconds but of course it felt like forever and scared me to death. However, we are both okay. I feel like I’ve been in a car wreck but Cameron is fine. His head was red but never swelled and was back to normal within an hour. He didn’t vomit and his mood was back to normal after I got him calmed down. I watched him like a hawk all night, waking every couple of hours to check on him. Talk about getting a crash course in parenting. What a week we’ve had!

Tonight, Friday, Cameron got himself up on his knees and his arms at the same time. It was only a couple of seconds but I don’t think it will be long before he is crawling. He is sleeping better through the night, which means so am I. We’re still having food issues because I don’t think the formula really keeps him that full but he still refuses food. But, we’re doing okay.

I’ve never been more ready to go home in my whole life. I leave on Monday morning instead of Sunday for Almaty. I hope to be there no more than a week and then I’ll be home. Mom comes into Almaty on Tuesday morning. I can’t wait to see her.

I wanted to send out a very special Congratulations to the Conley family. They went to court today and were awarded the adoption and the immediate custody of their 16 month old precious, little girl. I also wanted to thank Shari, who talked me through the scary fall situation immediately after it happened. I am so thankful that I was here with these wonderful people. This journey is not only about the children you bring into your lives but the people you meet along the way as well. And thanks to Matt for always carrying my backpack when my arms are full with Cameron.

I also wanted to Congratulate Jennifer and Marshall on getting their court date for Wednesday. To quote a line from one of my favorite movies, Almost Famous, “It’s all happening!”

I also have a funny Pasha story. When he came to pick up Cameron and I for one of our walks in the park, I was getting Cameron into his snowsuit. Remember, I mentioned the multiple layers in which they dress their children. Well, I only had one layer because it is so hot in the apartment and then the snowsuit keeps him very warm while we are outside. Well, Cameron lifted his shirt and Pasha noticed his bare belly. He fussed at me and lifted his own shirt and patted his belly and said “For Pasha, okay. But, for baby, no”. It was so funny. But, I still did not put another layer on him. Whenever we come back from those walks, Cameron’s entire body except for his face, which is the only body part exposed, is very toasty. It was just so typical Pasha.

5 comments:

kristen said...

Wow, Theresa! how scary that must have been for you. Moments like those (the fall) are ones you never ever forget... but I am so grateful that you are both 'ok'. I know you must be paying the price as residual bruises i'm sure are there, but at least nothing broke and cameron was fine. Praise God! :) I really feel for you - I really can't imagine being there with the baby in custody by myself. (I think I'm going to luck out and my mom can stay with me the whole time, I HOPE!) Actually, mine might be two trips. But anyway, I know i'd be so anxious to get home to my own house and people I knew. I'm glad you've made friends there though as well who can help you through some of these long moments! Take care - Monday is coming soon... I'm glad you're sleeping well, that also helps most things! :) ~Kristen

Anonymous said...

Oh Theresa, I am glad your scary moment was not too serious for you or Cameron. I remember getting my heels stuck in our deck stair when my third son was about a year old. We flew threw the air and I turned my body taking the brunt of the fall on my shoulder and hip, almost breaking my elbow....but no damage to my son, thankfully. It is amazing how the mommy kicks in to protect our little ones.

Glad you are okay and that you are getting more rest. Thanks for the funny Pasha story! What a riot he is!!

Blessings, Beckie

wilisons said...

Theresa,

Falls are the scariest! On our first Doctor's visit, I placed Tamar on the table and knealt next to her to put something in my bag. She managed to roll right off the table and over my back! The nurse just watched it all.

With Libby, during the first week I had custody in Semey, she was sitting in the seat in Pasha's van. His son was next to her but apparently he didn't remember to hold her hand. Libby decided to try her and at flying. I reached out and caught her about an inch from the moment her head would have made contact with the pavement. She still had a huge scrape and black eye. I don't think my heart had ever raced as much as at that moment.

It is moments like these that just make us KNOW we are moms!

I hope your bruises heal fast!
Shanna

sabarter said...

Bless your heart. I was a total clutz at first. I came home with two scraped knees from taking a fall to grab Ben from going down a flight of stairs at full speed on the heels of Shanna's oldest. (He thought he was a big as she was) Then came the black eye. I am glad you both are okay, your almost there.

Unknown said...

You will take a many a fall for your baby in more ways than literally - I slipped once with Reid in tow and broke my arm so there will be more and they will always be scary. There will be scrapes, bruises, stiches and cast so stock up on bandaides for you and Cameron. You have never been the graceful one. Think about when Clay was young and all the bumps and bruises. You have plenty to come.
Love ya - you are on the count down!
Gina