Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Day 11 – The One Where The Lights Went Out

Nana, See my tiger paws?


Sittin' Pretty

Cackling


Yurt

Bonding Day 9 – Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Well, I am typing this post by candlelight. It would be romantic except I’m by myself of course. I had heard that it is not uncommon for the electricity to go out for no apparent reason although I had yet to experience it. We had a beautiful day here in Semey. The sun shone all day and it was not windy or too cold. So, there is no storm that caused my lights to disappear; it just happens.

Mom left this morning and it was sad to see her go. I’m so thankful she was able to come with me and share in this journey. But I will miss her and so will BabyKaz. The apartment already feels much too quiet. I posted the above picture especially for Nana. She is a Clemson Tigers fan and I am a Carolina Gamecock fan. That will probably be one confused boy.

He sat up by himself for so long today. But, I got a little optimistic and he fell backwards and hit his head when I went about five feet to get a toy. I think it scared him more than it hurt him. But he cried for a few seconds. He really seems to enjoy laying on his back and playing with the keys in his hands. I really don’t like to leave him on his back for long because I think they lay that way a lot in the orphanage. But he was a really happy boy in that position today. He loved it when I leaned over him and got my hair in his face. He thought that was so funny. It was so cute.

Larissa brought me the petition for court today to sign. I had to write down what I want his name changed to (I’m still not telling) and it was so cool to see it on paper that way. Of course, the rest of the document was in Russian and I had to rely on Larissa to translate. Hopefully, I didn’t buy a condo in Central Semey today.

This afternoon, Katya took me to another museum. This was the Abay museum in honor of a Kazakh writer, philosopher, and “thinker” (Katya’s word, not mine). This museum had a full size yurt inside. A yurt was a mobile house/tent that the Kazakh people lived in when they were nomads and moving around the country. It was made of wood lattice and covered with felt and was round with a dome, felt roof. The yurt for the wealthy was elaborately decorated but the poor had a plain felt with no decoration. They had a small, low table where the men would sit and eat out of one large wooden bowl. They loved meat (still do) and they would eat sheep and horse. They would save the sheep eyes for the most highly respected man in the family. Eyes of a sheep are still a delicacy today. Tasty!

4 comments:

Matthew Ruley said...

He is so precious! Love those round pink cheeks. There is a TV show on Discovery Channel (not SurvivorMan) but the other one -Man Vs Wild, I think. He explained the sheep eyes on the show and actually ate one. Its the first time I ever saw him totally grossed out by eating something totally nasty.

lovemymbr said...

Handsome Man!
What a cutie pie! He melts your heart:)
So happy for both of you guys
Stacey and Marshall

Sandi said...

Ok Sheeps eyes NO THANK YOU. Great post and what a cutie. he has the best cheeks ever.

Sandi

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.