Sunday, November 25, 2007

Days 21-22 – The One Where We Blow This Joint

Saturday & Sunday, November 24-25, 2007

I went to the Baby House as normal at 10am Saturday morning (I thought I was done with this schedule?). But this time, it was to pick up my son. I had to sign some paperwork, basically stating I was taking over the responsibility of Cameron’s care from the orphanage, and I had to wait until the director arrived at 11am. But, by around 11:30, we blew that joint and went back to the apartment together. There wasn’t much fanfare at the apartment since Cameron was already asleep for his morning nap. He slept for about 1 ½ hours. Then we had lunch and played for awhile. Then, he was ready for his afternoon nap. Then, we lost electricity. He slept about 45 minutes and then we played some more until dinner. I had to fix dinner without the electricity and we ate by candlelight. Cameron loves his bottle but he’s not real big on the food; maybe because I couldn’t heat it up? He eats the food but not much. I think he’d just assume stick with the bottle.

He really enjoyed his bath but it was short because I don’t have a baby tub or mat in the tub, so he was slippery. He thought it was great to slip and slide but I was afraid I would lose my grip and he’d bust his head open. We’ll have to see about getting a baby tub. Cameron was ready for bed by 8pm. The only time he really gets fussy is when he gets sleepy. He fights it. But, he slept good; just not quite as long as I would have preferred. He woke at 4am. He didn’t wake up crying; he was babbling and blowing raspberries, which he does a lot by the way. I waited about 20-30 minutes to see if he would go back to sleep which he did not. So we got up and had a bottle. According to the Baby House schedule, he usually goes to sleep at 8 but wakes around 10-11 for a last bottle. But he never did wake until 4. After the bottle, he went to sleep briefly but was wide awake about 6:15.

So, basically he slept for about 8 hours. The problem was I could not go to sleep. I think I probably finally fell asleep between 1 and 2 am. His crib is in the same room with me and he is a noisy sleeper. If he’s not outright snoring, then he is grunting in his sleep. I remember the caregivers telling me he does this when I first started seeing him at the Baby House.

Cameron slept good for his morning nap on Sunday. We then met the others for lunch. None of the restaurants have high chairs, so you have to eat with the little ones in your lap. I thought I did pretty good feeding Cameron some juice with one hand and feeding myself with the other hand. The others were amazed at how good and alert Cameron was even since the day before. They all noticed some differences in just one day.

I don’t think Cameron likes the afternoon naps. He babbled and looked at his feet long before he fell asleep. He only slept about half an hour. I have to admit, I was very tired this afternoon with the few hours of sleep I got the night before. But, we had dinner and a bath (Thanks to Jen and Marshall for letting me borrow the baby tub they have in their apartment!). He was really sleepy so he just went down about 7:30. He was asleep before we even made it to the crib. Let’s hope he and I sleep straight through the night!

6 comments:

kristen said...

Yeah! it sounds like things are going well! What is the schedule now for you all going forward? How much longer are you there? I am glad the first day or two went without a hitch... I know you must be exhausted - but thrilled at the same time. When does your Mom return? Take care of yourself and your little butterball. he is just so cute! Congrats Theresa, I know you are estactic (albeit tired.)

Unknown said...

Welcome to motherhood. Get used to surviving on little sleep and eating quickly. You seem to be adjusting just fine. I bet his schedule might change some now that he feels safe with you. You know that he has made so much progress because of you. He will adapt to you and your schedule. The candlelight sounded fun!! Do you have electricity now? What is the plan for this week?

Sandi said...

Congratulations, sounds like you are already on a schedule :) How much longer before you get to come home?

sandi

Anonymous said...

Teresa,

Well looks like Cameron is breaking you in quickly to the different aspects of motherhood. So happy for you and sounds like all is going well for you. I hope you have an enjoyable time in those first days of fulltime motherhood and some sleep tonight.

Beckie

Unknown said...

I was just saying to myself, "welcome to motherhood!" I hope that you guys can get on a schedule so that you can get some rest. I remember when Gordon was a baby, I would take naps when he did. I told people at Shandon today that you were now officially a mommy - everyone was very happy for you and asking when you would be home. I told them it would be a few more weeks. We are all excited for you!
Love,
Caroline

jacksonsmomma said...

Theresa,

I am so happy for you. I have been checking your blogs here and there. It's been exciting to read a few days at a time. Cameron is absolutely adorable and the two of you look like a match made in heaven. As a new, first-time mother myself, I can tell you that it's the most wonderful thing that will ever happen to you. It will make each of your smiles truly meaningful. It will make you appreciate your family more than you ever imagined possible. It will make your heart a million times bigger, and warmer. It will make your life a million times more meaningful. It will make you the best possible version of yourself. And most of all, it will allow you to feel absolutely, positively, unconditional love. I cannot wait to meet your beautiful baby boy. Congratulations, and have a safe trip home.

Love,
Amanda