Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Day 3 – The One With The Future Professional Ballplayer

Bonding Day 1 – Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Well, I managed to sleep 9 ½ hours last night, with the help of my friend, Ambien. I had a nice bowl of Kaz oatmeal with blueberries for breakfast, which was yummy, and then we were off to the Baby House. I’ll get to visit BabyKaz twice per day; from 10-11:30 and from 2-4. There are 3 other families here, one couple and two single women, who all just completed the two week bonding period. They all three received their court dates for this Friday. It was a very festive afternoon in the bonding room.

When I picked up BabyKaz from his room this morning, the caregivers gave me a little insight into his personality, via Larissa of course. He loves to look at this hands and he rubs his fingers together. The caregivers joke that he is counting his money. Larissa thought this was funny since I am an accountant. And little does BabyKaz know that I spent most of it coming to get him.

I met with the orphanage doctor this morning and she gave me his medical history. He was hospitalized once for two weeks for a respiratory infection at 1 ½ months but hasn’t had any illnesses since. He is mildly anemic and has some developmental delays which all of these kids do. At 8 months he weighed a little over 20 lbs and was almost 27 inches tall. He’s a big boy. He’s even bigger than all 3 of the other babies in the bonding room and they are all 1-2 months older. He’s a big hefty Russian.

All of the families and their babies bond in the same room. The morning bonding went well. They are usually a little tired in the morning so BabyKaz wasn’t quite as animated as the night before. But he is a happy baby. He is quite ticklish and smiles real big everytime I touch him on his face, even if it’s just to wipe something from around his eye. He can’t quite sit up unassisted yet but I don’t think it will be long. He loves anything that lights up and/or plays music. He has the chubbiest cheeks ever and dimples. Cutie Patootie!

After the morning bonding, Larissa took me to exchange money and set up internet service. Then Mom and I had lunch with the other families at a place called Royal. I had pork with sliced bananas and pecans on top with rice. It never would have occurred to me to cook bananas on top of pork but it was actually pretty good.

After lunch, we went back to the Baby House for the afternoon bonding session. BabyKaz got very excited when we started to play with an inflatable ball. I would place the ball on his chest and roll it down the front of his body and he just cackled away. He loved it. He especially liked it when we played music in conjunction with rolling the ball. I don’t think I’ll have trouble getting him to play baseball or soccer. Maybe a professional ballplayer? (If he doesn’t want to be a marine biologist that is!) Of course, he also really liked this toy that has water and fish in it, which also made me happy

7 comments:

Matthew Ruley said...

BabyKaz sounds like a dream come true! He sounds so sweet laughing and enjoying your touch. You certainly have had quite a journey so far - I had no idea that the plane would have lawn chairs! Oye! And you must have been completed exhausted when you finally got to your apartment. Thank you for the Amsterdam tip. I am so enjoying your story. So glad Mom is there with you.

Sandi said...

Theresa
I am so happy to see that you have updated your blog. He sounds so cute and I am sure he is enjoying time with his mommy. Ah it is so great that you are their with him.

so when will pictures be posted??? you know we are all in suspense.

sandi

marsrob said...

VERY exciting! We'll be seeing you in about 1.5 weeks! We have our LOI and are planning frantically now! Cannot wait to join you- hooray!

cooper10 said...

So glad you have updated us!! We have been waiting. The flight sounded crazy. Jim says he thinks maybe he should go ahead a just get a booster seat for your car.:)

We love you
Michelle aand Jim

wilisons said...

Theresa,

It is so good to hear that you have met your sweet BabyKaz. It sounds like he grew by leaps and bounds since this summer! Little Miss Libby just turned a year and only weighs 17 lbs now! Practice lifting weights to get ready for your new life!

Best of luck,
Shanna, Tamar, and Libby

Unknown said...

Hi Theresa! I just read your update. It is so cool to be able to hear from you. I'm praying for you and BabyKaz. I can't wait to meet him - he sounds absolutely precious! Wow - 20 lbs! Please keep the updates coming!
Love,
Caroline

sabarter said...

I am so glad you made it to meet your little one. Hope the rest of your trip is a fantastic one.