Sunday, December 2, 2007

Days 28-29 – The One Where We Say Goodbye to New Friends

Lenin Statue

Larissa, Vladimir, Jennifer Having Fun At Lenin Statue

The Famous Pasha

Vladimir
Saturday & Sunday, December 1-2, 2007

Well, Saturday was not our best day. We met the others for lunch as usual, but Cameron was particularly fussy for some reason. I think he gets bored and he seems to like it more outside than inside. Needless to say, I didn’t get to eat much of my lunch. We then ran some errands and the meltdown got worse. We only had one driver and the others still needed to finish their errands so Larissa called Olga and she and her driver came to pick us up and take us home. Olga has a 7 year old son, German, and he is adorable. He was practicing his English on me and I must say his English is very good.

After an unusual hour long afternoon nap, Cameron woke up happier. We had dinner and played and spoke to Nana on the phone (Well, Cameron didn’t really speak to Nana but he did listen to her.). He went to bed fairly easily around 8:30. He slept through until about 6:00 which is the normal time he is waking up. He still fusses at least once in the night which wakes me up, but he goes right back to sleep. I guess I’ll get used to it at home.

Today, Sunday, was a good day. We were out for lunch, shopping, and one last sightseeing trip for about 3 hours and he was happy the whole time. We went to see some statues remaining from the Soviet years. One is an extremely tall statue of Lenin and other smaller busts of other Soviet leaders. We got out of the car to take pictures and we had to trample through the snow. Cameron thought this was the most fun. He just laughed and smiled the whole time. He also took a much longer (1 ½ hours) nap this afternoon.

Cameron and I leave Semey for Almaty tomorrow morning, so we had to say goodbye to Jennifer and Marshall and Matt, Shari, and Sarah. I will sincerely miss having our daily lunches together and I plan to stay in touch. We also had to say goodbye to Pasha today, sadly. He was leaving for Ust this afternoon and Vladimir will drive us to the airport tomorrow. He was so sweet. He made a point to come into the restaurant at lunch to tell us goodbye. I will truly never forget these wonderful people who live their lives here in the city where my son was born. Although, it has been a tough month and an even tougher week, I will have fond memories of my time in Semey and I will tell Cameron about it as he grows up. Who knows, maybe we’ll even come back to visit someday.

I don’t know how much internet access I will have in Almaty, so the updates may be sparse from here on out. But, I will try to touch base and I will definitely update once we are home. We hope, depending on how fast we can get an appointment at the U.S. Embassy, to leave by Friday. Fingers crossed!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, the goodbyes are difficult. You get anxious to get home, but the folks you get to know are so special too. Glad your time in Semey has many good fond memories for you. Hope Almaty is smooth and you will be home soon.

Blessings, Beckie

Sandi said...

I am sending positive thoughts that Almaty will go by fast and that mom will have safe travels to meet up with you.

It is refreshing to see that you are able to have fond memories of your sons birthland and that you will be able to give him an insight into that when he is older.

May you have safe travels to Almaty with Cameron.

Sandi

Matthew Ruley said...

OUr fingers are crossed toom which is making it hard to type! Looks like fun at Lennin's statue!

Have a safe trip and hope you have internet access! Suz

Unknown said...

Well, you made it to another milestone. I hope all continues to go well in Almaty. I know seeing your mom will be a great dose of medincine. I'll be praying for yall and your safe return. Hang in there!! You're on the downside now!

Unknown said...

Well worth the wait - I know Nana is excited as you are to meet up and get home. What a joy to have the memories to share in the years to come. Can't wait to see the little guy and pinch those chubby cheeks!
love ya
Gina

Unknown said...

I hope that your mom made it safely to you. I know that she will be a big help. In reading your earlier blog about you falling with Cameron, I remember when Gordon was a baby and rolled off the bed when he was only 2 weeks old. It was scary, but he was fine. I'm glad that you are both ok. Those things just happen. You, Cameron, and your mother are in my prayers!
Love,
Caroline