Friday, November 23, 2007

Day 20 – The One Where I Introduce My Thanksgiving Butterball

Introducing: Cameron Boyd Craft!
Friday, November 23, 2007

It’s a boy! 21 lbs, 27 inches! At approximately 10:30 am Kaz time, (11:30pm Thanksgiving Night EST), the judge granted my adoption of Cameron (fka BabyKaz) and waived the 15 day appeal period. I get to bring him back to the apartment tomorrow morning! God is so good! And the timing is amazing. It brings a whole new meaning to Thanksgiving.

Court ended up being pretty easy. I had a new judge, which had Larissa and Olga (and me, frankly) a little worried. Of course, before court, Larissa said it was nothing to worry about. She only told me that they were worried as we were leaving the courthouse. Instead of having me deliver my speech, the judge and prosecutor just asked me questions. It still covered everything in my speech, but it was much easier just standing and answering questions.

OK, I’m not an overly emotional person, and I thought I would be so focused on what I was saying that I would not cry during court. I was wrong. The judge was about 30 minutes late and I was looking at the photo album I put together as evidence of the bonding period while we waited and I started to cry a little then. During court, the representative of the Dept of Education described how well Cameron has been doing since we started the bonding period and I started to cry then. So much for not being emotional!

I don’t know how it works in every region, but in Semey, the speech has 3 parts. In the first part, you just describe your life, family, job, health, house, experience with children, financial condition, and your reasons for adopting. If you’re divorced like I am, you have to explain. In the second part, you explain the process you went through. You name your agency and how you chose it, when your documents were registered at the Kaz Consulate, when you received your LOI, when you applied for your Visa, and when you arrived in Semey. You also describe meeting the orphanage director and when you started the bonding period. You also describe what happened during the bonding period; how the baby changed and got stronger. This is where you describe some of your emotions during that time. In the third part, you describe what you are asking the court. You ask the court to adopt this baby and give his/her date of birth and you explain how you want the names on the new birth certificate to read. That’s pretty much it.

Now, the way mine worked is the judge and prosecutor asked me questions that are covered in Part I. The orphanage director and Dept of Education representative basically covered Part II and Olga covered Part III. To be honest, I think I got off pretty easy. Sometimes you get hit with a lot of tough questions but I didn’t get any surprises. I didn’t even get asked most of the questions I practiced with Olga the night before. Easy, breezy! All I have to say is Whew!!

I spent the afternoon stocking up on formula, food, and diapers. And I went to Vital Records and signed the adoption certificates. The lady at Vital Records ceremoniously handed me Cameron’s new birth certificate and the adoption certificate. The next step is to get his passport and exit Visa. I should be in Semey another week to ten days. And then I go to Almaty for him to be checked out by the medical clinic and then I will go to the US Embassy for an appointment. This takes anywhere from a few days to a week depending on how quick I can get the appointments set up. Then I can go home!

Better get some sleep. As my Mom said, Now the fun really begins!

11 comments:

Sandi said...

Theresa this is wonderful news to wake up to. I am so happy for you that things were easy in court. Congratulations and good luck over the next 2 weeks with custody of your son Cameron.

Sandi

kristen said...

Praise God!!! This is so awesome! I'm glad I checked (and you had had time to post...) before I have to head to work today. This totally makes my day! Especially now that you get to take custody of him!!! Can't wait to hear how day 1 with precious Cameron goes! When does your mom return? I hope you'll still have time to post with him being with you, but if not, I'll try to understand!! :) Way to go Theresa, this is just too awesome! (And it sounds like you really wowed them in court! How can you not be a little emotional?) Have a GREAT day/night - I'm sure it will be unforgettable picking him up from the baby house. :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Theresa! I had such a peace when I prayed for your court time...now I see the reason. I love the name.

Beckie

Heather said...

Congratulations to you and your "Thanksgiving Butterball"! I just love the caption for today!What a wonderful way to remember this holiday of "thanks" for years to come! It is finally nice to put a "real" name with that adorable face! I look forward to hearing about your days with Cameron back at the apartment!

Heather :)

Unknown said...

Congratulations! You are now officially a mommy! I have been praying for you and I'm so glad that court went well. It sounds like you and Cameron (now I can say his name instead of BabyKaz!) will be back here right before Christmas. How exciting! We can't wait!
Love,
Caroline

Anonymous said...

As my grandmother would say, mazel tov! Congratulations on a dream come true!!!!!

Dyan said...

Congratulations! I know you are excited to start your life with Cameron. I can't wait to meet him in a few weeks!

sff1497 said...

I am beyond excited for you! Congratulations on a long time dream come true. I asked everyone in my family to remember you and Cameron through this holiday. I missed your mom at Michelle's ( she ate and ran!) but I did get to see a lot of pictures she brought back. He is absolutely beautiful and looks like he just adores you, and you him. I have never seen you look happier. I will respect your space and bonding time when you return, but I cannot wait to meet Cameron, and Theresa, the new "mommy". As I type this, you are probably taking your son "home" and I couldn't be happier. Yes, it brings tears to my eyes (shut up, Michelle). I can't think of two more deserving people, or a better gift this season.

Much Love,
Sharon and the whole Fries Family, et al.

Unknown said...

Congratulations!!! I am so happy for you. I am glad court was easy. Like you said, no the fun begins. Hang in there the next 2 weeks. Atleast you get to spend it with Cameron. I swear he's got the Craft look. How was your first day with him?

wilisons said...

Congratulations to you and Cameron. May you continue to be blessed with health and happiness.

Shanna, Tamar, and Libby

kristen said...

Theresa - I keep checking back and no updates, and instead of being sad, I just smile and KNOW that you are having time with cameron! Time you will never forget and will always cherish. (I didn't say it was easy, but memorable, I'm sure!!) I look forward to when you have the time and energy to post again, until then, I am praying for very special time for you and Cameron together! :)