Thursday, November 8, 2007

Day 5 - The One With the Gate to the City

Russian Orthodox Church


Mosque

Gate to the City

Bonding Day 3 – Thursday, November 08, 2007

Today Ladimer picked us up at 9:45 sharp to make up some of the time we missed yesterday morning. He doesn’t speak much English at all and I figured he was just driving and not paying attention to us until I was pointing out to Mom a very large, old building that had been gutted and he said “School”. Guess we need to be mindful of what we say in the car after all.

The morning visit went well as usual. All of the babies were tired like they normally are in the morning. BabyKaz was so tired he fell asleep for the last 20 minutes and was snoring. Sounded just like my late father.

We had lunch at Istanbul Picnic and I had chicken kabobs and rice which was very good. So far, knock on wood, neither Mom nor I have had any issues with the food. After lunch, Katya, another translator, took us sightseeing. We saw the Russian Orthodox church, several mosques, and an old gate. Semey is about 280 years old and there is an old gate that led into the city. Outsiders had to literally knock on the gate and a gatekeeper would have to let them in. Pretty cool.

We also saw the rail station which has a statue of a soldier on a horse in front. Evidently, Kazakhs were originally Caucasian with fair skin, blonde hair and blue eyes. This soldier would guard all of the Kazakh women from the Mongolian men. Eventually, he was unable to stop the Mongolians and the two ethnic groups mixed. And of course, the Kazakhs now look very asian with dark hair, and eyes and almond shaped eyes.

The afternoon visit with BabyKaz was fun. I can already tell he’s getting stronger. All of the other families also commented today how much progress he has made in just 3 days. He is so much more alert and active. He’s starting to sit straighter and grip toys for longer periods of time. And he loves that ball.

Afterwards, we went to the Bazaar, which is an open air market. They have everything you can imagine there from clothes, to souvenirs, to meat, to toys, etc. I bought a musical toy for when I have BabyKaz in the apartment and it cost about $6. We also visited the Kaz version of the mall. It was a pretty typical mall but smaller. We then ate pizza at Sam Yang. It was very good.

I have found so far that you can really get anything you need in Kaz. We worried over what to bring that you can’t get here but it really wasn’t necessary. A lot of their products are brought over from England so they have anything you need. The only catch is they don’t buy big quantities of items and once something is gone, it is gone for weeks. However, I am still glad I brought my Peter Pan peanut butter; they have Jif.

4 comments:

Sandi said...

Great blog update. Sounds like you guys are getting along just fine. i am happy to see that the baby is getting stronger, I am dying to see a picture of your big guy :)

Keep updating you know those of us waiting love to keep informed.

Sandi

kristen said...

I eat Skippy! :) I already have it bought for my trip! :) I am so glad babyKaz is already already getting stronger! How encouraging that must be. When will you be able to post pictures? not until court? What about a name? The same? :) It's good to know that we don't have to overpack and that there are items that are available to buy there. Yes, be careful what you say around people! I'm sure they understand more than they might lead on. LOL. The same is true for kids! They ignore you when you are talking to THEM, but whisper something to a friend or something, two rooms away they can hear you!! Never fails. Or speaking in code... they can crack that code with no problem. :) The joys to look forward to! "Talk" to you tomorrow! :)

Unknown said...

I'm so glad that you are doing well. Are you able to take pictures of Babykaz? We are all wanting to see him! I'm keeping you in my prayers!
Love,
Caroline

Anonymous said...

Oh the memories that flood back to me as I see the familiar sites of Semey and remember our time there fondly. The staff there is wonderful and I am grateful for our time there and long to one day return to show Lana her Semey beginnings.

Beckie