Monday, November 12, 2007

Day 9 – The One With The Birthday



Bonding Day 7 – November 12, 2007

So you say it’s your birthday? Yes, today is my 3_ birthday and I can’t think of a better present than that cute munchkin you see in the picture above (ok, I know he’s not a munchkin but I can nickname him anything I want; especially on my birthday). He is a precious gift and I thank God every night that he put me on this path. I can’t believe we have already been here a week and the bonding period is half over. Olga told me yesterday that she would petition the court for the adoption next Monday. Hopefully, I will get a court date about a week later. She asked me if this was the baby I wanted to adopt. Duh!! I mean, really, look at that face.

Another couple came into the bonding room today after having arrived last night. They are from Florida and are here with their 3 year old daughter, who was adopted from Russia. They are adopting a 15 month old, very tiny girl. It was fun having more people in the room today and BabyKaz really seems to enjoy watching people. He sat up today for the longest I have seen yet and is really catching himself more when he starts to topple over. He also gripped some toy keys I brought for longer than I have seen him today. He got more Oragel today and fought me at first but then decided he kinda liked it as he smacked his lips. He is fascinated by these sheer drapes they have hanging in the bonding room and he loves for us to get lost in the drapes and have them in his face. He just cackles. I just hope we don’t bring the whole thing crashing down. When we picked him up this afternoon, he seemed tired so I don’t think he got his nap. And he did fall asleep in my arms for the last 20-30 minutes of the visit. It was very sweet.

Until today, we only had been taken to a small mini-market to buy groceries. Today we got to go to their version of a supermarket. It was much bigger than the mini-market but still much smaller than what we are accustomed. It was no Super Walmart. But it did have almost everything you would need.

The Irtysh River divides the city of Semey. And instead of calling each side East or West or North or South they say Left or Right. The right side is older and is the side where we are staying and is also the side where the Baby House is located. It is more crowded and noisy. The left side has less people, newer buildings and is more quiet. The buildings looked the same except newer. They still had that Soviet look about them. We saw a women’s monastery there where nuns still live today.

7 comments:

marsrob said...

Your baby is DARLING. Cannot wait to meet him and you in person next weekend!

Sandi said...

Happy Birthday. You are right what a perfect present! He is absolutley adorable. Congrats and may the rest of your process go smoothly.

Sandi

Anonymous said...

Oh he is adorable. Just love those kissable cheeks. What a happy little boy he looks.

Beckie

sff1497 said...

Happy Birthday! Probably your best yet. What a cutie and a perfect match. He looks a little like pictures I've seen of your brother, although I've never met him. I can't wait to meet Babykaz in person! He's a lucky boy.

Matthew Ruley said...

Happy Birthday - what a wonderful gift! What a sweet little face and pink cheeks. He looks so alert and healthy! The family from Florida, do they have a blog (I'm from FL too Tampa area)...

wilisons said...

Happy Birthday to you and yur baby Kaz:-) I can't imagine a better present for either of you!

Congratulations on reaching the halfway bonding point. You will see some enourmous changes coming over this week as you little guy really will start prefering you. It is a priceless feeling.

Shanna

P.s. Don't you love how the little darlings wait for a mom to cut their teeth. Mine started the week after we met her and hasn't stopped since!

Unknown said...

Looks like a Craft to me...You're a natural. Looks like you had a good birthday. I saw Uncle Pee Wee and Aunt Merle. Could you invite them to read your blog? They want to keep updated. Their email address is CHoward@comporium.net. Thanks for the journey. I'm lovin' it!!!