Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Days 30-32 – The One Where We Plan Our Escape

Monday-Wednesday, December 3-5, 2007

Cameron and I and Mom all arrived in Almaty safely. The plane between Semey and Almaty is so small that you have to drag your luggage yourself from the plane. So, I was a little anxious about getting my two, very heavy suitcases, backpack, stroller, and Cameron and I off the plane and into the terminal to our Almaty driver, Sam. As it turned out, I had a very nice Australian man and two Kazakh men all dragging my luggage for me. Everyone was so nice and I was so thankful. I guess it helps a woman alone with a baby!

On Monday, Cameron and I got settled into the hotel and went for a stroll in the park. It was nice to have a little independence. We both slept well that night, but the heat does not work well in the room and they would not bring a portable heater to the room. So, it was cold but we were both bundled up and had plenty of blankets. On Tuesday, we did manage to get a portable heater, which made the temperature much better in the room.

Early on Tuesday morning, Mom arrived. I was very happy to see her. We went to the SOS Medical Clinic that morning and Cameron was poked and prodded. We also met some other American families. Most of them had adopted from Krygyzstan, which is a fairly new program. But, they all seemed to have positive experiences. All of the babies were so cute.

We three are doing very well. Everyone slept well on Tuesday night. Cameron slept later than I have seen him sleep yet. The crib the hotel gave me for him is put together a little precariously. We were trying to all take a nap on Tuesday afternoon and we heard a crash in the other room with the crib. I went flying in and the bottom had dropped out of the crib. Cameron was fine and actually was smiling and laughing. He thought it was fun. And a man from maintenance fixed the crib for us. But I’m still not convinced of it’s sturdiness.

Cameron’s Kaz passport arrived from Astana late Tuesday night. So, we were able to go to the US Embassy on Wednesday afternoon. This is the last step in the adoption process before we are allowed to go home! So, we then went to the KLM office and booked our tickets. We could have left Thursday morning, but you have to leave the hotel at 6am to make the flight and we thought it would be better to give Mom an extra day to rest and to not be so rushed to pack. So, we leave bright and early Friday morning and arrive in Columbia late Friday night (same day because of the time difference).

I realized at the Embassy that today’s date was December 5, exactly a month after we arrived in Semey and first met Cameron. I cannot complain about the adoption process. Every turn has gone very smoothly. The staff in Semey and Almaty are very professional and they have a very good handle on how to move families through this process. But, then again, we all know who was in total control of this entire journey. And I have to send praises to God for sending me down this path and for making the path a fairly smooth one. I will never forget this month for as long as I live.

Tomorrow, we will hang out at the hotel and lounge around and pack. Then we will head back to the good ole’ US of A. Thank you all for your wonderful encouraging words and prayers. I’ll update again when we get home.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! We are happy that everything went so smoothly & that ya'll are heading home on Friday. Have a very safe trip and tell Donna we said hello. Can't wait to see Cameron!!!

Sandi said...

Congratulations! I am so happy that your process was smooth and fast. I hope you have a very safe trip home and can't wait for updates once you are home.

Sandi

kbemmons said...

I'm so glad things have gone smoothly...and that you'll be coming home soon. I must say though, I will miss reading your blog! Every day I was eager to read the next installment. You've done a great job capturing your adventure in writing. I look forward to seeing you & Cameron when you visit your mom in Charleston. Best of luck on the voyage home. --Karen

Unknown said...

WOW!! What a journey..I'm so happy for you. You'll be a great mom here at home too. I'm praying for a safe trip home. I can't wait to meet Cameron. Hugs and kisses!!

Unknown said...

I am so excited! You are coming home tomorrow! I can't believe you did it all in a month - well, God did it all in a month! I will be praying that you all have a safe trip back home. I can't wait to see you and Cameron!
Love,
Caroline

marsrob said...

WOW!!! We just checked your blog and are in SHOCK!!!! You are HOME???!!!!!! We just booked our tickets to Almaty...we leave Semey (maybe) on Weds...can we be home as quickly as you? It is possible?!!! Oh Theresa, we are SO happy for you and Cameron. Congratulations and we send you and the baby and your mom our love. We'll never forget the times we shared with you.

J & M