Monday, December 10, 2007

Days 33-34 – The One Where Cameron Becomes a Citizen of The Red, White & Blue

First Day Home

Thursday-Friday, December 6-7, 2007

Sorry it has taken so long to update. We have made it home safely and we are now trying to adjust our body clocks to East Coast time.

The last day in Almaty was fairly uneventful. We lounged around and packed. We did go to lunch at a place called Stetson, where Marina, the Almaty facilitator, recommended. She said they had an American menu. I think that description is a little misleading. However, they did have some good sandwiches with good french fries, with regular Heinz ketchup (most of the ketchup in Kaz is this dark red and it doesn’t taste exactly the same as ours). So, it was a pretty good almost-last meal in Kaz.

On Friday, we met Sam, the driver, at 6am to go to the airport. I have to admit, I have never been happier to be on my way home. Cameron did very well on the flights, even the long legs. He had a couple of meltdowns, but that is to be expected during 25 hours of travel. We were able to get the bulkhead rows between Almaty and Amsterdam and on the Amsterdam to Memphis leg. This row gives you extra room and they attach a baby bassinet to the wall in front of you. This was extremely helpful and Cameron did sleep in it.

Cameron became a U.S. citizen as soon as the wheels touched down in Memphis. Of course, he was screaming during one of his two meltdowns. I have to think it was his ears and not the thought of becoming a citizen of our great country. After waiting for longer than I had hoped in the Immigrations office, Cameron received his very important stamp on his Kaz passport that will allow me to get him a U.S. passport.

We arrived in Columbia around 10pm and went straight to Cameron’s new digs. I think he was impressed, but it was hard to tell. Our clocks are a little messed up but not too bad. I am currently working on getting us on a schedule and preparing for Christmas.

This closes my “The One With…” series to chronicle my adoption trip. However, I will update with Cameron’s progress and our transition. Thanks again for all of the wonderful comments. It’s been quite a journey!

God Bless America!

6 comments:

kristen said...

Hi Theresa! I am so excited that you are home - safely, soundly and happily!! Praise the Lord! I can't wait to read updates on your adorable cutie!! I did get my call last week! Yeah! I'm expecting my LOI by the end of Dec. Yippee! I wish you the best and can't wait to hear updates (or just email me when you can - I'm sure you're going to be busy now!) When do you have to go back to work? ~kristen

Unknown said...

Yeah - I could not be more excited for you. I know you are so happy and relieved to be home and Cameron to be at home finally. What a Christmas this will be. I expect a swarm of pictures. Can't wait to meet him. Oh, I just ecstatic!
Love ya
Gina

Dyan said...

Theresa! I am so excited that you are home. When do we get to meet Cameron? I am sure this is the best Christmas ever! Cogratulations.

Matthew Ruley said...

Congratulations and welcome home! Congratulations ALSO in order for Cameron in becoming a US citizen!

marsrob said...

Hey there,

It is INCREDIBLE to be reading the post you are writing from HOME! We leave Semey on Weds and are busy packing now. Thinking of you both....HUGS!

Anonymous said...

Welcome home and the best to you as you prepare for your first Christmas as a mommy. So glad all has gone well for you and get the rest when Cameron does until you are adjusted to American time again.

Blessings to you both,
Beckie