Tuesday, October 9, 2007

SPAFA

I just returned home from a support group for adoptive families in Charlotte with an organization called SPAFA (Southern Piedmont Adoptive Families of America). They meet monthly and I go sporadically, depending on the speaker's topic. Tonight, they had a pediatrician, who specializes in international adoption and is an adoptive parent himself, speak about possible developmental delays. I didn't really learn anything new but he did have some good resources to check out. He had a book listed that I actually do not have (I thought I had them all!). The speaker was so timely because I have a consultation with the pediatrician I hope to use later this week.

But, the best part of these meetings are always at the beginning. Adoptive families who have recently returned with their children show off their children and talk about their experience. Tonight included two couples from China and one who had adopted domestically from California. It is always so great to see the babies. And the parents always get a little weepy telling their story. But, after a crazy busy last couple of weeks, it was so uplifting to see these families home. I know it will be my turn soon!

3 comments:

marsrob said...

Yes! It WILL be your turn soon! I just know it! Maybe we'll be lucky enough to be there together!

I think it is SO great that you went to that group...And I don't know if you have heard of the DVD set "Heart of the Matter" - LMI recommended it to us strongly - and we watched the whole thing (like 6 hours).
It was AMAZINGLY helpful in terms of helping us think through any issues we might face - and how to deal with them - once we bring home our baby. Anyways, I STRONGLY recommend it. Truly. We both thought "will we really, truly benefit from this?" - the answer is a resounding YES. Anyways, hope you get your LOI soon!
Thinking of you!
- Jennifer

marsrob said...

Ok, I think we were literally commenting on each other's blogs at the exact same moment! I cannot tell you how much I want to go over to Semey and be there at the same time as you - so we can enjoy our new babies together!!!
- Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Genial dispatch and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you as your information.