Monday, October 15, 2007

Packing List (Are you kidding me??)

I've been working on my packing list. Actually, I had several different lists going and I consolidated. OK, can someone please explain to me how in the world I am supposed to pack to travel halfway around the world for 5-6 weeks in one check-in bag (70 lb maximum) and one carry-on?? Here is a PARTIAL list:

- very heavy, winter clothes for 5+ weeks
- heavy, down-filled winter coat (yes I had to buy this, I'm a southern girl)
- hat, gloves, scarf, long underwear (winter-related accessories I will probably lose)
- wool socks (had to buy these too)
- umbrella stroller
- diaper bag (luckily diapers and formula can be purchased in Kaz. I realize I will have to carry this on the flight home (not that incompetent) but can onload a few things like gifts)
- snowsuit (for BabyKaz, not me)
- hat, mittens, and other winter related clothes for BabyKaz
- toys for BabyKaz
- various medications for myself and BabyKaz (antacid, headache, sleep meds, immodium for you-know-what, antibiotic to treat if get you-know-what, baby tylenol, benadryl, oragel, desitin, etc., etc., etc.)
- various toiletries for 5+ weeks
- flip flops for shower (haven't needed to wear shoes in the shower since my college dorm days)
- clothesline (apartments usually have washer but not dryer)
- camera and charger
- laptop and various accessories
- converter and adaptor plugs (Kaz uses the same voltage as Western Europe)
- I-pod
- camcorder
- various means of entertainment (books, cards, dvd's, sudoku puzzles, etc., etc.)
- work
- PAPERWORK (cannot forget this!; very important!)
- gifts for caregivers and staff
- gift bags to place gifts into
- snacks (peanut butter-I've heard a few places in Kaz do have pb but I am very picky, granola bars, crackers, bottled water)
- And the list goes on and on

Do you see my dilemma? Sigh.... I'm told once I have BabyKaz in my arms, none of this will matter and I'll forget all about it. Let's hope so!!

5 comments:

Sandi said...

Theresa
I know the feeling that list is never ending. I am not sure how you will pack all that in two bags it is not feasible. I will probably have 3, I do not see any other way around it. I will say the travel bags will definitely help you cram more into the suitcase :) Its too bad they do not reduce the weight.
Good luck and I can't wait to see how you do it.
Sandi

marsrob said...

You are right, the packing thing is INCREDIBLE! I think we'll all deserve awards if we manage to do this in one suitcase/carry-on each! We have also created the most detailed list of things to bring - if you'd like to see it, just let us know!
Happy to share. At least we're getting close enough to focus on this part!

kristen said...

I've been wondering the same thing!! How is the world... I'm making my list and don't see how it's possible in 10 suitcases, let alone 1. And I'm thinking of really only necessities. I didn't that I required THAT many! Can you email me (Netsirk713@aol.com) a list if you have one? i haven't gotten one from my agency yet, and think that the more of us thinking about what to take, the better!! J

Jen and Marshall, could you send your list? Can I read your blog? My email is above.

bushco said...

i'd maybe leave the ipod@home. is your mom going w/ you? maybe consolidate both your lists????

Theresa said...

Leave the ipod?? It's the smallest and lightest item on the list!