Monday, August 27, 2007

The Country of Kazakhstan

I don't have anything new to report, so I thought I would give some basic facts about the country of Kazakhstan. As I've mentioned before, Kaz's people come from very diverse ethnic backgrounds. The most recent statistics I could find (from 2007 on the kazakhadoptivefamilies website-link is on the right side of the page) break it down as follows:

Kazakh 59.2%
Russian 25.6%
Ukrainian 2.9%
Uzbek 2.9%
Tatar 1.5%
German 1.4%
Other 6.5%

Yes, this does total 100%; I'm a CPA remember? Anyway, the Other category includes as many as 100 different nationalities.

About 47% of the population is Muslim, 44% are Russian Orthodox, and the other 9% are Protestants, Roman Catholics, and Judaists.

The official state language is Kazakh. However, about 2/3 of the population speaks Russian, which is also used in everyday business. I am told most of the caregivers in the orphanages speak Kazakh. I am also told it is practical to learn some Russian since this is what I will hear most. I purchased a Russian CD and book from another adoptive Mom which teaches phrases needed most while adopting. I have not listened to it much yet but it seems pretty easy to use. Russian seems like a very difficult language to learn but I'm hoping to learn some basics that may help while in Kaz. But, I will have a translator with me at the orphanage and to help get around to the restaurants, the grocery store, and to shop and see the sights. I will also be provided a driver every day to get back and forth to the orphanage, airport, court, etc.

The currency in Kaz is tenge. Current conversion is 1 USD = 128.46 Tenge. It's always interesting dealing with different currency when traveling. But luckily I have a handy electronic converter I bought for a previous trip. Again, I'm a CPA so I rely heavily on calculators everyday!

Major trade partners with Kaz are of course, Russia, China, Uzbekistan, Turkey, Germany, Ukraine, and good ole' USA. The major exports are oil, chemicals, wool, meat, coal, and grain.

The government system in Kaz is a hybrid that combines both parliamentary and presidential systems. Kaz became an independent sovereign state after the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991. Their Constitution was formulated in 1993 and approved in 1995. The economy declined in the mid and late 90's but the economy has been gaining strength in recent years. There is good website aboutkazakhstan.com (link is on the right) that gives a good overview of the country.




The cities where my agency works are listed below.

Astana (the capital of Kaz)
Almaty (the former capital, and the city where I will enter and leave Kaz)
Semey
Taraz (shown as Zhambyl on the above map)
Shymkent
Aqtobe
Esik (not shown on map but is close to Almaty)
Karakastek (not shown on map but is close to Almaty)


As you can see, these cities are located all over the country. So, I could end up in any part of Kaz. As you know, I am anxiously waiting to find out to which city I will travel so I can research and gather as much specific information as I can about the city. Right now, Almaty requires 3 trips. This city was closed to adoptions for a while so apparently they are backlogged at the moment. It is 3 trips because families are having to wait up to a month after bonding before getting a court date. This would put families wanting to do one trip there for several months. This would definitely be a hardship for me so I have requested not to be assigned to this city unless absolutely necessary; in which case I would somehow make it work. Other than that, I could go anywhere.

Please continue to pray for me and my little boy in Kaz!

No comments: