Friday, April 4, 2008

Saying Yes




"It's What You Say Yes To That Determines Your Life"

Over the 18 months or so that I was either researching adoption or going through the process, I had some inspirational and encouraging quotes on sticky notes around my desk and computer. They are all mostly still there. One of my favorites is above.

How different is my life today since saying Yes to international adoption. I could truly not imagine life now without Cameron. A friend of mine asked me recently if I really felt like a Mom yet. I didn't even hesitate answering Yes to his question. I remember reading on one of the message boards that some Moms felt like it took 6 months to feel like you aren't babysitting someone else's child and I can remember thinking that I hope it doesn't take me that long. I can honestly say that it did not, not even close. Now, I didn't feel like a Mom immediately and I don't know exactly when it happened. It's like falling in love; you can't pinpoint exactly when it happened but you just realize one day that it has happened.

I also remember, early on when I first started talking about my plans to close friends and family, a friend of mine told me that I had no fear. Now, this is someone who has known me since 3rd grade. I remember thinking later that it wasn't that I don't have fear. I just try to live my life despite sometimes being afraid. I try to push through the fear and do things anyway and make decisions based on my faith and the path that I feel God has chosen for me. I don't want to get to the later years of my life and have regrets. And most elder adults will tell you that they regret more the things they did not do more so than the things they did do. I am so glad I pushed through the fear and said Yes. I now have an amazing son.

Cameron continues to do well. He seems to have adjusted to his school well. I am very happy with the daycare so far. He is getting EI (Early Intervention) and PT (Physical Therapy) and OT (Occupational Therapy) to help get him caught up developmentally. He's almost 14 months old. He is much more mobile now, even though he's not walking yet or crawling for that matter. He just doesn't seem to like being on his hands and knees. But he scoots and rolls to get around the room. His legs are strong and he is walking with someone holding his hands. So, I think it won't be long before he walks on his own. He is eating mostly table foods now and will eat most everything you give him. And I know I've said it before, but he is a BIG boy. Everyone comments about how big he is and they all seem amazed he is not closer to 2 years of age. And believe me, my back and wrists agree!

5 comments:

Sandi said...

Theresa,
Cameron is so cute. He really looks so happy and content. It is nice to read about how everyone goes through the process of becoming a mom and finally feeling like a mom.

Congrats.

Anne Bentley said...

What a cute photo of Cameron! I think all the weight in his cheeks keeps him from being able to get up on those feet and walk on his own. All in good time--soon he will be running and then you won't know what hit you. He looks great and I love seeing how much he has changed since you first met him.

Curlymom & Dr.Dad said...

Theresa,

WONDERFUL to read your post! I have been thinking about you and your son SO much today and so I checked in and there you were. WOW. What a beautiful thing - and I totally k now what you mean when you say you fell in love but you don't know when. I feel the same way - it really is just like that. Our children are totally a part of our whole lives now and it is like being carried away in love. Total devotion. It is amazing and I am so happy things are going so beautifully with you and Cameron. He's a DOLL. We just posted more photos and a post about my most recent experiences with Aila.
I send you love - Marshall does too. You are both always in our hearts.

Jennifer

Dyan said...

Theresa,

What a great post! You seem so at peace with where everything is in yours and Cameron's lives. The picture is just perfect! Can't wait to watch him grow into a toddler!

Dyan

Kelly and Sne said...

Thanks for the inspiration. We're trying to keep our eye on the prize during the ups and downs (and never ending wait for an LOI - over 4 months now!) and your perspective helps. Also a work friend of mine just returned from Ethiopia with her son and confided in me that she still feels like she's just babysitting. I remember thinking that, well, I wouldn't feel that way... but I guess you just never know how fast it will take to form that Mother-Child bond. Glad you shared your experience.

Cameron is just an adorable boy. How wonderful that life brought you together.