Sunday, July 1, 2007

Boys

I keep getting this question from people so I thought I would try to answer it here. Why do I want to adopt a boy instead of a girl? I think any child is truly a blessing from God. However, I have always had a heart for the boys. I have a younger brother who was born when I was 6 years old. Before he was born, I was absolutely adamant that baby would be my little brother. I would not hear of the possibility it could actually turn out to be a little sister instead. I don't know why and only have a very vague recollection of this memory. I believe God was preparing my heart for now, 30-something years later, when I had to decide whether I had a preference for adopting a boy or a girl. It really wasn't much of a decision; I knew immediately a boy would be my preference.

Most families want to adopt an infant girl. So, there do seem to be more boys left behind to live out their lives in the orphanages. While this fact works in my favor because it could mean I travel a little sooner since more boys are available, it was not the primary reason for choosing to adopt a boy. I think it is true that boys tend to be more rambunctious and unpredictable than girls. But I also believe girls are more dramatic and emotional than boys. Of course, there are always exceptions to every rule. Each family has their reasons for wanting one gender over the other and none of those reasons are better than the others. I simply feel a boy is right for me.

Of course, there was never a song entitled "Thank Heaven for Little Boys".

After all this, it's still possible I come home with a little girl. We'll see how it goes...

No comments: